Remember me? I’m your old C++ code…


Just recently I was called upon to fix some code that I had written while working as a consultant “way back” in 1998. It’s not that long ago really, but a lifetime in software developer years. At the time I was fresh out of university so this was my first proper assignment as a professional. I was the sole developer on this project and the code was written in C++ using the Lotus Notes/Domino C++ API. This was kind of the norm back then.

In essence this old code was broken in to four programs. They were all server based batch type jobs, run at scheduled intervals. Their common goal was to maintain the people groups in the Lotus Notes Name & Address book to reflect the structure of the organization (which was, and still is, a large organization). That means creating new groups, removing empty groups and adding/moving group members to and from groups. For a user to gain access to the Lotus Domino servers (for mail and other databases) you had to be a member of a group in the hierarchy, since only the top node (and thereby it’s children) was granted access to the servers. The groups were also used as mailing groups to parts of the organization. It would be kind of “critical” for a user if the program made a mistake and it goes without saying that with so much application business logic you wouldn’t choose C++ for this type of task today.

I was amazed that these old programs were still running!! Sure, one program had been altered by someone else a few times some years ago, but the remaining three were running just as I last compiled them back in October of 1999. I thought that was kind of fun and also made me a bit proud. Of course, I believe there are two reasons why this code has run unaltered for so long:

  1. It was written properly and there was no need to alter it
  2. Nobody understood the source code and therefore dared not make a change

I choose to believe reason one. I guess that’s a shocker! However, I was actually able to confirm this fact when I started to work with the source code once again after all these years. It was tidy and easy to read, although I was amazed just how much of the C++ syntax was now strange to me after many years of programming Java, Python and C#. I would not have made all the same choices that I did back then regarding the architecture, but in general I was kind of impressed. There was also valid documentation, written by me, which I found very useful when trying to get back in to the problem mindset. Not bad!! πŸ™‚

It was strange to use Visual C++ 6.0 again which was the IDE/compiler I worked with originally. I did actually try to upgrade the project to Visual Studio 2008, but the Visual Studio C++ compiler wouldn’t compile the original source code so in the end I gave up trying. It was never part of the new assignment and the C++ syntax was just too unfamiliar to me. The customer didn’t care so I stuck to VC++ for the time being. Maybe in the future if I get the opportunity again I will give it another attempt.

Of course, it goes without saying that the actual source code – released in 1999 – was lost, but luckily enough I found a copy on a CD-ROM at home, which was a relief. It made the job a lot easier, but I guess it also shoots to bits my reason one (above) a bit πŸ™‚

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s